Jazz Smugglers Master Workshop

Jazz Smugglers Master Workshop
Click on photo for Jazz Smugglers website

Wednesday 26 September 2012

Kenny Barron's "Voyage". Improv analysed



If you have a Facebook account would you open it please then click on the tiny Facebook icon at the foot of this post, then "Like" it.

If you sign up as a "follower" you'll get all the new posts as I do them. See the foot of the sidebar

WE NEED A JAZZ GUITARIST FOR OUR JAZZ WORKSHOPS AGAIN ON OCTOBER 21. Chichester area. KNOW ANYONE?




From the artist.
A MIDI file of my solo, PDF notation file of my solo, and MIDI and MP3 backing tracks for this song are available The artists website.

"Voyage", written by the great pianist Kenny Barron is a beautiful (and difficult) song. Loving the key of F Minor like I do, I just had to take a stab at it. I take it at a decent pace of 205 bpm.

The key for me during my improvisation is to have an idea of where I want to go and what I want to say. This is sometimes referred to as "intent". To quote Paul E. Rinzler in his book The Contradictions of Jazz, "Technique in jazz is defined not through a universal standard, but in terms of intent. That is, good technique is that which expresses and makes manifest an improviser's intent, as a matter of positive freedom. The stark dissonances of Thelonius Monk may sound like mistakes to jazz neophytes just like Miles Davis's unfocused tone, but those dissonances are actually the consistent result of clear intent from a great musical mind that saw creative possibilities in harmony and dissonance that no one else in jazz had before."



In this blog We will produce tips for jazz piano, and jazz guitar together with jazz saxophone. We will cover jazz chords, jazz guitar chords, and we will deal with jazz scales. We will cover jazz songs. This site is all about jazz improvisation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep it helpful please - and clean.